52 – Turning Points …
Turning Points are defining moments that may have an indelible impact in our lives and completely change us; sometimes they close doors, sometimes they open them; sometimes they just happen, sometimes we make them happen.
Some of those moments were for me:
• My mother’s emphasis on Beauty … rainbows, flowers, sunsets, a full moon … when ugliness surrounded us.
• When I first became Aware that I am a self-propelled Natural System made out of other self-propelled little Natural Systems and embedded in other self-propelled Natural Systems, and that although completely dependent for sustenance on the world around me, I possessed a Body mostly driven by primordial instincts and a Mind relatively Free to think and imagine.
• When I realized that to delve into the Universe inside me and beyond me, it was imperative to overcome the limitations of my organic senses.
• When I left home and threw myself into the adventure that forced me to face my fears and reshape my entire worldview.
• When I was able to understand the simplicity and beauty of Einstein’s e=mc2, which taught me that as every Natural System in our Universe, I can only Exist if I am able to sustain … instinctively or self-determinedly … a constant equilibrium between the energy I consume and the energy I transform into action and mass.
• When I was able to understand the simple beauty of Bell’s Theorem, which taught me that no matter how small or far apart the elements of my body might be, they have to be intimately interconnected for Me to move and act and think cohesively and with a purpose.
• When I was able to understand the profound implications of Bohr’s Complementarity, which taught me that although I am an utterly unique individual, I also am the unfolding species we call Humanity; that I am not one or the other, but that I am both at the same time.
• When I was able to understand the scope of Heisenberg’s Uncertainty and Pascal’s Probability, which taught me that I am a Natural Process emerging into a more or less pre-determined design amidst the uncertainty of an infinite set of probabilities.
• When I was able to understand the universal scale of Prigogine’s Dissipative Structures, which taught me that as all Open Systems in Nature I am a synthesizer of energy … absorbing it in one form, releasing it in other … and thus in constant Transformation.
• When I was able to understand the amazing lesson of Maturana and Valera’s Autopoiesis, which taught me that although the elements of my body are constantly changing and being replaced, I intuitively generate and perpetuate the continuity of a Self.
• When I was able to understand the implications of the Mandelbrot Set, which taught me that the structure of my body … myriad elements working together towards Survival and Reproduction … is the result of a self-replicating evolutionary model that ensures the Continuity of Life.
• When I was able to understand the all-encompassing reach of Darwin’s Theory of Evolution, which taught me that as everything in Nature, I am a product of creative and self-generating processes that compel us toward Complexity.
• When I was able to understand the power of Quantum Field Theory, which taught me that I am a Physical Field in space and time, a catalyst for transformation of which … instinctively, yet oftentimes purposefully … I am the Driving Force.
• And the greatest turning point so far came when I put together all the defining moments and clearly saw the pre-set yet adaptable Pattern, the Universal Blueprint from which I, and you, and everything in our Universe emerges and merges into the flow of an incomprehensible yet undeniable Creative Process.
• uniqueness and universality,
• capacity to transform and be transformed by the movement of Evolution,
are common characteristics of a Universal Order manifested in every single creation of Nature.
And because this is Incontrovertible, and Simple, and Beautiful, there is no doubt in my mind that in spite of the Divisiveness of religious dogma and the Destructiveness of political ideologies, a Turning Point in Human History is inescapable as we begin to see this Beautiful Order.
Note: New posts are usually published on the 1st and 15th of the month. To subscribe to the blog, scroll down to the RSS feeder (orange icon) on the left column of the Home Page.